The City of Barnesville Garbage and Recycling Program is converting to a One-Cart System. Traditional recycling has become ineffective and inefficient. Due to stricter standards of recyclable materials, much of the materials thought to be recyclable are ultimately ending up in the landfill.
All refuse both recyclable and non-recyclable, will be disposed of in one garbage cart. The comingled material will be taken to a state-of-the-art facility designed to source separate the waste. This allows for a significantly higher volume of materials to be recycled or repurposed in comparison to a traditional single-stream collection or processing operation.
The system is referred to Repurpose, Reduce, Reuse and Return. Benefits of the One-Cart system include: reduction of waste deposited in landfills, higher percentages of recycled or repurposed material, and reduction of emissions due to one-truck, one-bin system.
Beginning next week, crews will be replacing existing garbage carts and recycle bins with one new cart. The carts will have a serial number which is assigned to each address.
“The City of Barnesville remains committed to the protection of our natural resources. This program enables us to reduce our impact on the environment by directing material away from landfills and reducing emissions associated with air pollution,” stated Mayor Peter Banks.
Cart Delivery, Placement & Collection Guidance
- Your new cart will be delivered during the period of May 3rd through May 7th, 2021.
- Be sure to have your cart out for collection by 5 a.m. on your scheduled service day.
- Routes may begin as early as 6:00 a.m.
- Carts must be placed on the curb with the lid opening pointing to the street, no more than 3’ from the curb, and at least 4’ from any fixed object or parked vehicle and in a manner to prevent a traffic hazard.
- All garbage shall be bagged and placed inside the cart.
- Batteries, Hot Ash or Coals, Flammable or Hazardous Materials, Paint & Tires will not be collected.
Container Care & Maintenance
- Amwaste is responsible for repairing or replacing carts.
- Damage caused by negligence or improper use may be subject to replacement fees.
- Cart hygiene is the responsibility of the resident.
- We recommend washing your cart periodically to prevent odor and to maintain appearance.
Holiday Collection Schedule
- Amwaste observes the following holidays: New Year’s Day, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Thanksgiving and Christmas.
- If an observed holiday falls on or after your service day, service will be delayed by one day. Example: Monday routes will run Tuesday; Tuesday routes will run Wednesday; etc.